I made these using a brownie mix from Bob's Red Mill that is both gluten and dairy free, but if you wanted to use pre-made brownies or soft, chewy cookies the prep time could be cut down even more. My son can't tolerate much cow's milk, so I used a goat milk ice cream from a company called Hewitt's, but a non-dairy ice cream could be an easy substitute.
This is the perfect activity for kids to help out with.
Gluten Free Ice Cream Brownie Cupcakes
(Makes approx. 30)
Special Equipment:
- Cupcake Liners. I used plain ones, but thicker foil ones would look great too
- Muffin Tray
I know, long list. What can I say?
Ingredients
1 package gluten free brownie mix and ingredients called for on package (for Bob's Red Mill I needed 1 egg, 3/4 cup butter or margarine, vanilla extract and water)
1 container ice cream of choice
Directions
Preheat oven to temperature indicated on package. Remove ice cream from the freezer to allow it to soften while brownies cook.
1- Prepare brownie mix according to package instructions. Line muffin tray with cupcake liners. Using a small spoon, fill liners only about 1/4 of the way. They mix will rise a little upon baking, and the goal is to only have the brownie come up about halfway.
2- Bake brownies for about half the time called for on the package. Insert a toothpick into one, and if it comes out clean, brownies are done. If not, put them back in the oven in 5 minute increments until done. Let brownies cool, but leave them in the muffin tin.
3- When brownies have cooled (approx. 10 min. later) top each one with the soft ice cream, flattening it down with the back of a spoon. It's fine if the ice cream is almost melted because it's too difficult to work with it if it's frozen solid.
4- Place the muffin tin in the freezer until the ice cream hardens up. Remove the brownie cupcakes from the tin and either serve, or place in a single layer in freezer bags.
I like the simplicity of the chocolate brownie with the vanilla ice cream, but they could be drizzled with chocolate sauce, or dressed up with some berries on top. For a kid's party, they could have sprinkles on top. Eat with a fork, or with your hands!


No comments :
Post a Comment